Sunday, February 22, 2009

Movies this weekend

Oliver Stone's W.: We thought this would be fun to watch but were mostly bored. Brolin did an admirable job of depicting Bush's steps to the presidency as well as his continuity of character/personality from Jack Daniels guzzling ne'er-do-well to chief executive. Of Bush's inner circle as president, the only one who comes across in any sort of favorable light is Colin Powell, well-played by Jeffrey Wright. If anyone would make a film relating to George Tenet, my opinion after watching W. is that Bruce McGill is the perfect Tenet.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: I'm a sucker for Michael Cera. Like most, I first noticed Cera as George Michael Bluth in Arrested Development. Despite my problems with Juno--namely, I didn't appreciate the dubious portrayal of teen pregnancy--his acting was one of my favorite parts, besides the dialogue. In Nick and Norah's, he plays the awkward, nerdy teen to perfection. I'm not drawn to teen/young adult themed romantic comedies, but I was pleasantly surprised and found it playful and heartwarming.

No comments: