Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rave: Snooze, An AM Eatery


After a night of watching Phish set lists roll in via text, Kate, myself, and Dee Snyder sashayed over to Snooze for breakfast. Located within a short distance from Coors Field--and conveniently next to Big Daddy's Pawn Shop--Snooze's breakfast fare was a welcome sight after a night of beer and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, the latter of which fits into some odd category of its own. Snooze is one of Denver's top breakfast spots that melds diner with exposed-brick chic establishment. The clientele was an even mix of parents, hipsters, and hung overs (ahem).

Although we received ample warning about weekend mornings, we waited approximately half an hour to get a table and we were well rewarded for our patience and time spent ogling Big Daddy's bling, bicycles, and air compressors. My flight of pancakes (one pineapple upside down (the best), sweet potato, and honey granola, the flavor of the day) were sweet and fluffy like pancakes should be, but they added flavors and textures that are absent from pancakes. Although the granola might have been too textured, the three 'cakes provided what I wanted after a night of celebrating. Kate ordered the caramel cinnamon roll, which I didn't enjoy as much. Here's how Snooze's menu describes the cakes:

Caramel Cinnamon Roll Pancakes the cult classic revealed! White chocolate chip pancake, covered in vanilla crème anglaise & bourbon-caramel glaze, swirled cinnamon butter and toasted pecans.

They were too sweet for me and after a few bites I found the sweetness to drown out the rest of the fluffiness. Doug ordered an omelet. Nothing too fancy, but well-prepared and my few bites (I took more while you were in the bathroom, Doug) offered the wholesomeness of eggs.

When we return on a weekday, Kate and I agreed that we would select an egg dish. As we waiting patiently for our seats, I noticed that eggs benedict, prepared five ways, was a common dish and I would most likely choose one or another.

Snooze Denver

No comments: