Saturday, January 30, 2010

2, 4, 10! Heritage Dr. Pepper With Real Sugar

There are few treats in life I enjoy more than a cool Dr. Pepper. Coke or Pepsi don't thrill me at all, but nothing lifts my spirits like Dr. Pepper. So when I stumbled upon a case of Heritage Dr. Pepper made with real sugar, I couldn't resist. Normally, I shun all pops, including my beloved Dr. Pepper, since I'm uneasy with all of the sugar and, curiously, regular soda pop triggers an acne reaction. (And I completely disagree with the talk of "there's no way that pop causes acne" since I know from experience that it's a direct factor for me.) After drinking Coke with real sugar in Morocco, the prospect of real sugar mixed with Dr. Pepper's twenty-three flavors weakened my resolve and I found myself trudging home with a fridge pack. And, folks, I'm here to tell you, it was like a sneak peak at the rapture.

If you look at the cans, you'll notice the numbers 2, 4, 10. According to the Dublin Dr. Pepper website (see below), the numbers "represent the times of day when the human body needs a little “pick-me-up” to avoid an energy slump." I have no idea why it's heritage rather than throwback, which is the marketing term Pepsi is using. I presume, therefore, that the name difference is a marketing gimmick. What you might not know is that you can find Dr. Pepper with Imperial Cane Sugar bottled out of the oldest Dr. Pepper bottler located in Dublin, Texas. Although invented in Waco, Dublin produces and retails original formula Dr. Pepper. I might take the plunge and by a couple of extra fridge packs and pray that self-restraint carries the day so that I don't find myself paying for Dublin Dr. Pepper at ten dollars a case and five dollars shipping.

No comments: