Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slow Cooker Chronicles: Southwestern Brisket and '77

I love stumbling across a recipe for my slow cooker/crock pot. And when Smitten Kitchen posted a southwestern pulled beef brisket, I couldn't resist. I had also been waiting for an opportunity to stop in Oliver's Meat and Seafood Market on 6th, and I can't complain about a friendly, jovial butcher who is open at 8 on a Thursday morning. The brisket and Oliver's receive definite seals of approval.

SK's instructions are straight-forward, so I won't bother recapitulating them. Instead, I offer a brief photo journal of the experience from unwrapping to plating. I started the process around 9 and we ate at 7:30. We served the brisket on soft buns with a side of cranberry pecan sweet potatoes. The brisket cooked on low for around ten hours, and pulled apart with ease. The chipotle and molasses layered the beef and sauce with smokey, sweet flavors that merged well with the soft texture of the beef. In other words, it was a winner. I can add the brisket to the pork shoulder recipe as go to crock pot recipes that result in delicious meals. The Talking Heads' '77 played in the background for my soundtrack from the browning until I started the crock pot.

As some of you know, my last experience with the slow cooker was marred by two strong doses of food poisoning. I determined that the pork shoulder was not the culprit, and I didn't have any apprehension of reusing the crock pot. In March, we'll make a chicken tarragon meal and corned beef in the crock pot. Regarding the latter, St. Pat's is one of the few times where I can convince myself to participate in holiday mirth by consuming heaping portions of unhealthy meat.

I decided to strain and reduce the sauce this morning, as per SK's suggestion, while I typed this entry. I will certainly reduce in the future. The volume decreased by half and transformed into a smooth sauce that is neither too syrupy nor watery. She mentioned seasoning the sauce, but I found no need for additions. I can't wait for sandwiches tonight.


Unwrapping the brisket to Weymouth's fat bass of Psycho Killer seemed appropriate

Browning after a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.

Onions, garlic, coriander, cumin, chili pepper sauteing until fragrant.

Molasses, bay leaves, tomatoes, and chipotle peppers en adobo before adding to the mix.

Breaking up the tomatoes by hand. I'm pulled, I'm pulled up.

The brisket with all of the ingredients at the onset of the approximately ten hours in the crock pot.

Final product fresh out of the crock pot.


I posted two photos of the plating as each one showcases the meat in different lights (literally with and without flash) and the sandwiches' composition.

1 comment:

ingrid said...

That looks delish! Thank you for sharing the link - I will try this recipe out this month, although my meat not be as high quality. I didn't hear about the food poisoning episode, doesn't sound fun.