Sunday, March 7, 2010

Slow Cooker Chronicles v. 2 Chicken with Tarragon

For a couple of years, we kept a Real Simple recipe tacked to a cork backsplash with the good intentions of making this piece of paper a reality in our stomachs. The ingredients are straight-forward: chicken (we used thighs that I cleaned), tarragon, white wine, leeks, a bit of garlic, baby new potatoes, peas, and cream. And when your instructions entail throwing it all in a crock pot, with the exclusion of the cream and peas, it's a hassle free meal.

Failure might be feared but there's no fear of admitting failure here at the Raptor Space. The goods: the chicken tasted better than expected and the house was bathed in the delicious smell of leeks and chicken. The bads: it was an uninspired meal and the left-overs were equally disappointing. I mashed the potatoes with the cream in the stoneware, and it never warmed. Transferring it to a sauce pan was the only way to heat the mixture to an acceptable serving temperature, and the peas never cooked thoroughly. I will break out the crock pot for corned beef soon, other than that, there won't be future offerings of the slow cooker chronicles.

So here are some pictures. I return to my otherwise mundane life after the Praxis on Saturday.

Maybe I didn't give the potatoes the credit they deserved.


LEEKS


My shoulder is in focus as I scrape excess fat of the thighs.

Let's roll.


The final stop in an uneventful meal.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Sorry it wasn't so good - I'm always bummed when something smells delicious but is bland. Our chicken tarragon dish was rather bland and uninspiring, too.