Sunday, May 17, 2009

The New GOP Line to Oppose Same Sex Marriages or Civil Unions: It Costs too Much.

When reading the "GOP Jihad" article I discuss below, Sanford claimed that the federal and state governments cannot afford the tax breaks for same sex marriages or civil unions. Michael Steele dropped similar logic bombs in a recent GOP convention in Georgia:

"'Now all of a sudden I've got someone who wasn't a spouse before, that I had no responsibility for, who is now getting claimed as a spouse that I now have financial responsibility for,' Steele told Republicans at the state convention in traditionally conservative Georgia. 'So how do I pay for that? Who pays for that? You just cost me money.'"

Seriously, you're going to sell opposition to same sex marriage based on those lines? That's ridiculous and I think they'll have a hard time selling that to the country without being seen for what it is: veiled crap.

No comments: