Sunday, July 19, 2009

In Defense of Root Beer Floats and Simple, Unsophisticated Pleasures



I'm fond of sophisticated cooking, even though it's not something that I'm talented at executing close to professional or, frankly, novice levels. You can spare me a description of the proper employment of six types of sea salts, which has happened in the past. I don't know anyone who has the palette to distinguish between Hawaiian Black or India Tree Coarse sea salts, and I'd doubt the veracity of claims to the otherwise. Simple cooking without a front loaded list of spices and convoluted preparation techniques suits me, and can illustrate someone's technique without relying on frivolity to dazzle diners. That's not to say that I don't feel like Thai basil and plain, sweet basil offer the same flavors and don't have specific utilities, nor that pairing ingredients and a cheese can't change a dish. I simply find pretentious cooking to be a waste of time unless the cook can nail it without producing a good, yet not superior meal. To be honest, I think I have fallen victim to this silly pursuit a time or six, so I shouldn't be too preachy.

Nevertheless, I enjoy summer and the opportunity to savor a refreshing root beer float for dessert. Root beer floats are often a product that is relegated to people's childhoods, or the idea of a treat that is tailored for children. On the contrary, I find them playful and a touch light hearted and ideal for a hot summer's evening after grilling. We aren't swilling floats all summer long, don't get me wrong. I admit that a root beer float, unfortunately, isn't the healthiest option. However, they break up the monotony of ice cream and other standard summer desserts. If the idea of a root beer float invokes a feeling of comfortable nostalgia, why not give an oldy a second go around with all of your adult eating?

In the above photoed floats, you'll notice the absence of ice cream. Katers and I had a heavy meal and decided to go easy on the ice cream. I touched up the photo's contrast and hue to bring out the best in the floats' swirling browns and frothy head. (Notice the clever product placement. Who needs google generated ads?)

No comments: