Friday, December 18, 2009

Qalam wa Lawh Write Up and Photos


I've finished my Arabic training at Qalam wa Lawh (QWL) and I'm pleased with the quality of instruction, facilities, and the helpfulness of the staff. As I noted in earlier entries, the staff, especially Malaika, went out of their way to help us explore Morocco and its culture. From finding me a home for Eid to providing cheap laundry service, I can only commend them on easing my stay.

Arabic is a difficult language that requires diligence. At this point, you might be thinking "thanks for the news, Bill Curtis. What other late breaking news stories or mysteries do you have for us?" I have toiled with Arabic for years, often retreading the same ground with plodding advances. I'm determined to continue. Trips of this sort will not occur again, however, so any future advances will come slowly and will test my perseverance. The honest approach is to acknowledge that all of this might not reach fruition. When TFA kicks in my intentions might weaken as I face the onslaught of early childhood education.

Regardless, here are some photos of QLW that are worth sharing.

Dining area

Add a boiled egg, this raiff, sugary OJ, a shot of tea, and you've got a breakfast going
Looking out on the gardens and patio
Typical view from the patio in mid-December
Bernardo, my roommate, and I on my last day

I should add that Bernardo made my stay enjoyable. I wasn't wild about the other kids who stayed there--including the one who stole my food and didn't have the integrity to admit it. Bernardo's fluent in English and picked it up from American film and entertainment (ie cultural production) in Brazil.

No comments: