Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Great Middle West

We've settled back into our lives in Denver and welcome the idea of kicking around Denver for the next two months or so. Big Blue (our decrepit, lemon VW Passat Wagon) tacked up three thousand new miles on the odometer and ran like a charm, which it should considering we dropped approximately 1300 into the car in May and June. Amazingly, we saw all the family with no major conflicts. That minor feat required a fair amount of running hither and thither, and leaving us exhausted and ready to return to our normal lives.

Some of the highlights included seeing Phish at Deer Creek with Kate (despite the sloppy mess), Phish at the Fox, the new wing at the Art Institute on the hoi polloi free night, and, as sappy as it sounds, time spent with family and friends. The most challenging was discovering that a friend may have allowed drug abuse to get the better of him.

I've now listened to most of Phish's early summer tour and saw two shows. I'm exicted they returned to performing, but an element seems out of place or missing for me. Quite possibly, Phish was what I needed at a precise time in my life. As priorities changed, however, maybe they can't fill that niche and the shows don't have the same resonance they once did as I was grasping at who I was and what I wanted from life. I wouldn't attempt to say that I will never listen to Phish again or the band will fade from my interests as that won't happen. My time and passion, on the hand, may never rebuild as the band retakes its throne to the jam band faithful. Oh, well.

No comments: