Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ayn Rand Bio

The New Republic's senior editor Jon Chait assessed a recent biography of Ayn Rand, titled Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right by Jennifer Burns. I'd be lying if I claimed that the article was an honest book review rather than describing it more accurately as a third review, a third attack on Rand, and a third editorial on the hysteria of conservatives over tax matters and governance. With that being said, Wealthcare is a fantastic yet long read that exposes Rand's vicious, imperious personality and how her ideas took hold in modern conservatism. Her acolytes adopted a cultish following where Rand wielded a totalitarian-esque cudgel within the group that demanded strict adherence to her writings and thoughts as well as unflinching loyalty to her as a person. Excommunications and personal attacks followed those who committed minor transgressions or questioned her will. All in all, a fascinating article with, for me, agreeable commentary on how the right's concern on taxes for the rich is unfounded. I'm tempted to purchase the book for my trip, but I'm uncertain if I need additional history luggage.

No comments: