Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Be careful what you say on the phone, kid. Chicago Politics, yay!!!

There is a friendly joke/reminder that circulates at a Chicago company that employs me: be careful what you say on the phone. One of the company's bosses is an elected official and has occupied the seat for years. It would be silly for me to post his name or that of the company, most of all because I know he's honorable and I shouldn't be reckless with someone else's name. Shortly after I started working for the consulting firm in 2003, it was brought to my attention that due to his position in the company and as an elected official, one could never know if someone was listening. It was a bit of a wink, nudge I'm messing with you, but it wasn't just a joke and the company's president told me. Since the two or three people who might read this know me, you can accurately guess that there's some merit to the comment and it's not just someone inflating their importance.

So to read that G-Rod was an ignorant ass and was so blatant on the phone...I just can't fathom his hubris and ego. If some kid like me learned the lesson early, why would a seasoned politician who knew he was under investigation be so foolish? If you have a target on your back, why step into the line of fire?

No comments: