Saturday, January 17, 2009

Go see Frost/Nixon.

I admit: I am continually fascinated by Richard Nixon. His personality, intelligence, cunning, pain, all reveal a complex figure. I would go so far as to say that he's one of the US' most enigmatic and intriguing presidents, quite possibly rivaled by his predecessor Lyndon Johnson. I don't know how the US got such men as back to back presidents. Other presidents are equally accomplished and integral to American history, but seldom do they have the shocking personalities and range of an LBJ or Nixon. Both men were tragic figures, and were responsible for tragic actions in Vietnam and elsewhere. So this isn't hero worship, rather amazement at their characters.

So as you can presume, I loved Frost/Nixon and Frank Langella's portrayal of Nixon is flooring. The movie covers ground familiar to historians, but I give Ron Howard and Peter Morgan an immense amount of credit for their gripping work. The weakest part was Langella's voice and affectation, but the makeup and his acting towered over that minor issue. In fact, Langella shines in the dramatic close-ups as he reveals the tortured Nixon. As a film, I highly recommend it, but it comes with a fair amount of fiction.

No comments: