Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year from Norman Holder



Kate and I are staying in Steamboat for a couple of nights next week, so we elected to stay in for new year's eve. I cooked a boneless leg of lamb (see above pic) marinated overnight in a paste consisting of rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and anchovy paste. I also made small incisions and stuffed them with sliced garlic and some of the paste. We served it with pine nut couscous and mashed sweet potatoes with cranberries, pecans, and some sweetening additives, mostly brown sugar. The post-oven and plating pictures didn't turn out as I thought, so the wrapped meat is what you get. Overall, a solid meal with leftovers that last for about four or five days. For dinner last night Kate sliced a baguette and topped it with dijon mustard, Irish cheddar (leftover from our amazing Christmas Eve bouillabaisse), and a few slices of lamb. Wonderful.

Norman Holder was a frumpy gentleman who worked the desk at the UN archives while I researched the Jordan River matter. Norman wasn't too helpful, but I guess he was at least friendly. (OK, to be fair, the archives there aren't the best and Norman did his best considering the constraints.) However, every time he picked up the phone he extended his best greetings in a throaty tone (think Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade) that I enjoy repeating to this very day. I also was privy to his evening plans, such as visiting the theater, where he would eat, his thoughts on the Giants, etc.

No comments: